Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Lost of a Child


This weekend has been quite a weekend for me. First of all, the unspeakable happened to a person for whom I've grown to associate with over the years. This unspeakable thing, happened to be the lost of a child. Now I had heard the story on the news, and really felt bad, but upon receiving a call from a another friend of mine telling me that this child was the son of a mutual friend of ours, I felt ill.

My question is, how do you go on after the lost of a child? This little one in particular also happened to be one of twin. That really has been weighing on my mind the most,how do you begin to describe to a 7 year old, that the person they shared the wound with was no longer on this earth? Writing this just breaks my heart so I cant even imagine living through it.

The funeral services were today, but at the last minute I decided not to attend. I choose not to attend, because funerals tend to weigh heavy on mind even after they're long over. I really did not think that I could have the image of the mother, the twin and another sibling, saying their last goodbyes to their little angel. So with this said, the time of the funeral, they were in my thoughts, I said a silent prayer and thought about my two little ones. Could you really go on after the lost of a child. How long would it take you not to call their name, to not hear their voice or remember the little things that they did? Wow, a lifetime I bet...... It would take a lifetime to get used to those things.

I know this kind of thing happens on a daily basis and life is about ups and downs, but how do you over come those down times? People lose people everyday, its a shame that we have to get used to such things. But we do and time and prayers heals all. Accepting the lost of a loved one requires that you grieve, that you understand that they're in a better place, and that everyday it gets a little easier.

So with all this said, in this day and time that we're living in, just remember to cherish the times you have with loved one. Dont take experiences, even the bad ones for granted and say what you want to say to loved ones while you have them. One of the best things, I've heard is to give flowers to people you love while they're alive, dont wait for the funeral services, they cant enjoy them. This way, you never wonder if they knew you loved and cherished them, but you know they knew.

MochaMom
Photosource:Statesman.com

No comments: