Saturday, April 12, 2008

3rd thing I want to write about

So the third thing I want to write about tonight (or shall I say this morning, its 12:30 am yall) is something that's going on in the world called, the Present moment. Have you guys been following Oprah's book club pick this month, its called A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. Oprah is doing this big thing where they hold classes every Monday with the author whereby they discuss the book and questions are answered. Now I must admit, I do not have the book nor am I participating in the classes. I plan to read the book, its on my list. Let me give you some background on the subject of this book,

In A New Earth, Tolle expands on these powerful ideas to show how transcending our ego-based state of consciousness is not only essential to personal happiness, but also the key to ending conflict and suffering throughout the world. Tolle describes how our attachment to the ego creates the dysfunction that leads to anger, jealousy, and unhappiness, and shows readers how to awaken to a new state of consciousness and follow the path to a truly fulfilling existence.

What does the mean? That was my reaction to the book when I first heard about it and just didn't want to buy into the hype of making someone else rich just because Oprah supported them. This week,I've been listening to a lot of talk radio, its only so much "crank that" you can listen to. So with this said, on XM's Oprah and friends they have been giving accounts and experiences from people around the world who are reading the book and I was just blown away.

Then today, after watching recorded episodes of Oprah, the entire show was dedicated to the book. I was quite delighted by the stories and the reaction to these ideas.

My interpretation was, if you spend every waking moment living in the "present moment", your consciousness truly enjoys every experience whether good or bad. In doing this you determine your priorities and priorities equate to life purpose.

Everyone is always looking for their purpose, what is it that I am suppose to be doing in this lifetime. Am I doing it and don't know it? Many Many questions, but living in the now is the power of simply "being". These answers will come but your mind has to be free come chaos and clutter. You have to truly enjoy whats going on at that moment. I did this at dinner tonight, was truly "present" in the conversation with my daughters. And the one thing that really stuck out in my mind as my 4 year old was talking was, "man I don't ever want to forget that face". My attention was truly focused on them and it seemed like I could really hear every laugh, every emotion. My mind didn't race to what I have to do tomorrow, the bills that are due, the work I have to complete on Monday, but "man I don't ever want to forget that face". That was my "Aha" moment.


Living in the present,
MochaMom

No comments: